Samut Sakhon was formerly called “Tha Chin” probably because, in the old days, it had been a trading port dealing with a vast number of Chinese junks. ln 1548, a town named “Sakhon Buri” was established at the mouth of the Tha Chin River. It was a centre for recruiting troops from various seaside towns. The name of the town was changed to “Mahachai” when Mahachai Canal was dug in 1704 to join the Tha Chin River at the town. Later, the town was renamed “Samut Sakhon” by King Rama IV but it is still popularly called “Mahachai” by the local people.
Map showing location of Samut Sakhon City (Mahachai):
GPS Coordinates: 13.544430, 100.275044