The Don Chedi Monument comprises of two sites dedicated to King Naresuan the Great’s victory over Burmese forces. One is a royal monument erected in honor of the Siamese victory, whilst the other is a pagoda, or Chedi, enshrining relics. It is chronicled that in 1592, King Naresuan the Great defeated Phra Maha Upparacha, leader of the Burmese army, in a fierce royal duel on elephant-back. As a result, Siam regained its sovereignty and freed itself from the Burmese occupiers.The Royal Thai Army renovated the pagoda in 1952 and built a new pagoda over the ancient one. The new pagoda is 66 meters high and 36 meters wide.
TRIP REPORT: Three Day Tour of Suphanburi Province